Saturday 5 January 2013

Julia Pott

From school, I have discovered an artist who's work I really love, and feel I connect to in a way. As you've probably guessed from the post title, her name is Julia Pott. She is originally from Britain (woop woop), but she now lives in New York (woop woop). Her artwork is really interesting - she draws imaginary animals with their own personal issues that reflect Julia's own issues she experiences during life. These awkward animated characters are applied to 'act out her inner confusions'*. She uses intricate detail in her work, adorning patterns and marks that really give a volume and texture to the animals and foreground. I really like this aspect of her. I think it's quite similar to the doodles and drawings I like to do, which is one reason why I really feel I kind of understand what she means through her sketches. Also it is ~so fun~ to do a imitation/response to her work. I did a fox (of course) with loads of lines for fur and on the tummy (yes I'm just SO scientific and mature) a diamond pattern. It was really shamazing but it kinda smudged everywhere - we had to do it on tracing paper :(

ANYWAY, she's really fascinatingly HUMAN and perfect in my opinion. I would add pictures of her art but she has it copyrighted so I would have to contact her (I think) to use her images. If this sounds interesting to you, here is her website! She has also made a few short animations that are slightly depressing (well, some of them are), but really engaging. 

She has a shop on Etsy, which HAS NOT OPENED YET. I'm...just...waiting...I hope you go do some extra research on her, she is just INSPIRING!! Feel free to comment about her, or ANYTHING! 

Tiredly,
Hannah

*most of this sentence is not my own words (I REALLY don't want to get arrested.)

  

2 comments:

  1. i love the way you write, you're so funny! your blog is perfection.
    i know this is annoying, but would you mind checking out my blog? you've inspired me to keep posting!
    (don't laugh, i know i have 0 followers but i only just started!)
    http://www.ohnoitsemily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! :)
    It's not annoying at all, I totally will check it out! I'm glad I've inspired you! We all have to start somewhere, right?

    -Hannah x

    ReplyDelete